Dave Haywood a teacher in the Back Hills High School, challenged his students to give up their smartphones for some time. Most of the students said no. That is what every teenager would do. Who can stay away from their gadgets these days? Think about it for a minute. Pretty difficult right?
Addicted to smartphones
Only Nine students participated in the challenge. Most of them complained of being bored or going insane. Losing their phones made them feel like they couldn’t function anymore. That is the story of every teenager these days. They are addicted to texting, games and social media. Day or night their phones are by their side all the time. This addiction is having a negative effect on their life. They are losing the sense of balance. It affects their health, schoolwork, responsiveness and social interaction.
The break actually helped!
What happened to those who participated in the challenge? It actually helped them for the better. Even though they complained, eventually they started doing other stuff. The stuff they didn’t do before because of the smart distractions.
Their studies improved, they started doing household work, slept better and started doing healthy activities like reading and physical activity.
The experts say that a digital detox is required in order to live a well-balanced life. Taking a break from the digital routine is necessary. The problem which most parents face is the kids don’t listen and it is difficult to take their gadgets away. How about introducing short breaks in their daily routine? It will help realize the importance of digital breaks and live a healthy, harmonious life.
What to do?
- Ask them if they can live without their smartphone for a while. This will help them know how much they are dependent on technology.
- Introduce screen-free zones and hours in your house. Make sure no one uses their phones or tablets during those times.
- Use FamilyTime’s limit screen time to create a digital pause. Lock the distractions away. All you have to do is set the time and this app will do the rest of the work for you. You don’t have to take their phones away and yet reduce their overall screen time. It is available for iOS and Android
- Set a good example by following the rules yourself.
- Don’t let them get bored. Replace the screen time with reading, outdoor games, house chores, and other fun activities.
Make it easy
Digital addiction can have adverse effects on kids’ mental and physical condition. Long term exposure can cause digital dementia and changes in the brain. This is something you don’t want for your kids. That is why use technology to make your life better, but don’t depend on it.
And what is better when FamilyTime is here to help you. Taking a break is a two-step process. Help your kids enjoy life when there is still time. Try pause-ing and then let us know if your kids can survive or not?